The Boro is alive with nature shedding out of its winter disguise and blossoms springing forward. With the sun out and the rain nourishing nature, many find this April a delightful time compared to last year’s enclosed April. What seemed unprecedented last year, makes this year feel much more ordinary.
For residents looking to spring out of their homes and enjoy what this season has to offer watching nature’s colorful exhibition and discover why this is the Garden State, it’s time to see what all the buzz is about! Take the family and make memories at any of these well-known botanical gardens famous for their meticulous garden displays. (These locations are great to keep in mind for Mother’s Day or for floral inspirations for Mother’s Day!):
Rutgers Garden: If you did not know, you do now! Rutgers has an incredible garden free of cost and large enough to get lost in the wonder of its beauty. Find bamboo groves, farmer’s market, trails, gift shop, pavilions, and meadows all in one place. Pack a bag with snacks and a blanket for a picnic! Visitations are open, and guests are welcomed any time between Saturday to Thursday 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM (1).
Reeves-Reed Arboretum: Enjoy self-guided tours or free Saturday tours as well as several trails to walk on in Summit, NJ (2). This arboretum is charming and picturesque, so much so that many times it is rented for weddings for its special, delicate beauty. All visitations are free and the current exhibit, “Four Seasons: Celebrating the Life and Work of Al Bros” ends on May 9th (1).
Holland Ridge Farms: If you want to complete your spring adventures, Holland Ridge Farms is for you! This is the largest tulip field in NJ offering an array of color and an opportunity to pick tulips of all different classifications (3). Tulips are good to go and an excellent long-lasting choice for Mother’s Day!
Grounds for Sculpture: One of the most recognized gardens in NJ, visit Grounds for Sculpture to take you to an outside art exhibit and garden dream of gallery after gallery of scenic views. Come ready to walk and ready to eat at Rat’s Restaurant for French culinary cuisine and award-winning views (4)!
Van Vleck: Located in Montclair, this botanical garden was built in 1916, has 6 acres of beautiful floral shows and is located in a beautiful New Jersey town (5). Enjoy various of gardens from an edible garden, butterfly garden or a formal garden to take pictures or take in a peaceful moment among sculptured meadows.
Longwood Gardens: If you are in the mood for a day of adventure, travel to PA’s gorgeous Longwood Gardens only 2 hours away. This garden has an extensive variety of rare plants and flowers as well as illuminated fountains and dining options. Find magnolias or Japanese cherry blossoms for a spring delightful spectacle! Do not miss out before these seasonal plants transition to summer greenery! For more information and tickets, please visit: https://longwoodgardens.org/
Mother’s Day Dining Ideas
Whether one is looking to dine indoors or out, some of these restaurants are some of the most sought out offering exquisite dishes in the area outside of NY. Make reservations as quickly as possible as these locations are filling up quickly for Mother’s Day in May!
- Salt Creek Grille- this restaurant is an excellent waterfront location with a large water dock to walk over the water and embrace the evening in tranquility. There is a sister location in Princeton, NJ in case reservations are completely booked in Rumson.
- Battello in Jersey City- enjoy Italian cuisine and NYC’s skyline after a special dinner. This location is perfect for those looking for a beautiful city view with waterfront and winds between NY and NJ.
- Orchard Park by David Burke- Perfectly centered in East Brunswick, Orchard Park is a spectacular location to lavish mothers on their special day. Either for brunch or an evening dinner, this restaurant is very well-known for one-of-a-kind dishes and culinary creativity.
- Liberty House in Jersey City- Join loved ones in Liberty State Park where you can watch the night take over the sky after dinner in one of NJ’s best known and busy parks. Expect great food and a beautiful ambiance.
- Rooney’s Oceanfront Restaurant- Beloved for its oceanfront view, this restaurant is a perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of any busy week. This location offers bi-deck levels, airy vibes and seafood to die for!
- The Windlass at Lake Hopatcong- Relish in the moment at The Windlass. Watch as boats go by and the sun sets over Italian fare and enjoy a drink in The Windlass boat-shaped bar!
To Claremont Towers Residents:
For residents looking to get information regarding the COVID vaccine and where to schedule an appointment, the county of Essex has made it easy by visiting https://covidvaccine.nj.gov/ and signing up for a scheduled appointment.
-The Team at Claremont Towers